Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives.

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11860

• EamonMcGowan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Max that is a great vid! I will be very interested in finding out how the Farmers Fare goes? I think I will start timing myself with different grit starts ans see what I can do best with my technique or lack of? :ohmy:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11866

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
tuffybraithwaite wrote:
i more or less set up and do as jed does, but tommorrow on some knives i will try what clay suggested and start out at 400 - maybe a few at 200.
here is a shade over 6 min. vid i did for practice tonight for sat.

Looks good.

You might also consider this... if you mark the knife with a marker, and set the stones so that you're reaching the edge, you really don't need to spend the time raising a burr... you can just start sharpening alternating sides. The burr primarily tells you that you've reached the edge, which you already know you're there.

You can just feel the edge before and after you start sharpening and it will tell you if it's changing, or use something like an Edge Tester (if you're not comfortable touching the edge).

This also depends on the condition of the knife... if it's in bad shape, then you may want to raise a burr... but then you'll also probably drop to a more coarse stone.

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11873

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 120
cbwx34 wrote:
tuffybraithwaite wrote:
i more or less set up and do as jed does, but tommorrow on some knives i will try what clay suggested and start out at 400 - maybe a few at 200.
here is a shade over 6 min. vid i did for practice tonight for sat.

Looks good.

You might also consider this... if you mark the knife with a marker, and set the stones so that you're reaching the edge, you really don't need to spend the time raising a burr... you can just start sharpening alternating sides. The burr primarily tells you that you've reached the edge, which you already know you're there.

You can just feel the edge before and after you start sharpening and it will tell you if it's changing, or use something like an Edge Tester (if you're not comfortable touching the edge).

This also depends on the condition of the knife... if it's in bad shape, then you may want to raise a burr... but then you'll also probably drop to a more coarse stone.
now this is the real deal - thanks.
market vid is posting now - another good day, but many garden shears and scissors. - 10 knives
<"))))><(

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11875

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Lets see how that no burr process works for you.
I am curious.
I don't trust myself to know that I am hitting the apex all along the blade if I don't pull a decent burr along the entire length... on both sides once.

The other night I did a Spyderco Military. I had sharpened it before and recorded everything. I set it up, started with the 800 diamonds, had a ..lets call it "micro burr" on both sides in less than a minute. Hit it with the 1K diamonds, 1K Chosera stones and the Naniwa Aotoshi 2K stones. Then stropped with 4 grits, (6, 3, 1, 0.5 micron) about 50 strokes per side each.

Very nice edge and about 15 minutes elapsed.

The point I guess is that, if you get your angles down correctly, you don't need to spend a great deal of time pulling a burr. Once you have the burr on both sides along the entire length, you know you have the apex and you know that you should be getting a consistent bevel.

Hey, what ever works for you... but I can't yet get to the point that I think the time saved is worth the uncertainty. It is a lot faster to make sure of where you are with a coarser grit stone than try to make it up later.
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11881

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
I'm the opposite I guess... I'll rarely grind one side specifically to raise a burr, regardless of whether or not I'm sharpening for time. Marking the edge usually tells me I've reached the edge. Doesn't mean I don't create one, I just don't specifically do it. Doesn't have anything to do with time saved.

But I often recommend it, and use it when needed.
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds