Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives.

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11656

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
I think I would flip out if I had to do 20 knives in one day!:ohmy: :unsure: It takes me hours to do 4
knives :blush:
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11664

• wickededge
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 644
EamonMcGowan wrote:
I think I would flip out if I had to do 20 knives in one day!:ohmy: :unsure: It takes me hours to do 4

With more time on the machine, you get faster, plus doing knives for customers is different than doing them for yourself or your friends. You don't need to agonize over every last scratch. You can often just find the existing angle, match it and start with the 600# stones. From there, it's easy to work through the 600#, 800# and 1000# diamonds and then finish with 20 or so strokes with the strops. The knife you'll give back to your customer will be screaming sharp (depending on the angle of course) and far better than anything they've ever seen before. If you work the same venue often, you'll get the knives back after a while and it's really easy to touch them up, just a matter of a minute or two. At shows, I usually do 5-10 knives per hour if they're not too badly damaged or wanting a major reprofile. I spend more time on knives sent in to the shop, often 20 minutes or more making sure they're perfect.
--Clay Allison
The following user(s) said Thank You: EamonMcGowan

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11667

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 120
PhilipPasteur wrote:
And I thought you wanted information on sharpening the Victorinox knife...???

Guess I wasn't paying attention...
:evil: :P
You did a fine fine job - this is just what i was looking for.
Handle Material: Nylon Fibrox
Handle Style: Partial Tang, Molded
Bolster: None
b)...Edge Angle: 20 degrees...;)
<"))))><(

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11668

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
EamonMcGowan wrote:
here is the break down for 3 hours.....
started off with 3 cheapies (china) and one weird hand chisel grown chopper - (did by hand - time).
then 5 henckels then the box of 6 henckels - did one big one(box out of box) and started on the santo. = 3 hours.
brought: 11 home and deliverd today.

will post video in 4 mins. for viewing.
<"))))><(

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11669

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
wickededge wrote:
EamonMcGowan wrote:

With more time on the machine, you get faster, plus doing knives for customers is different than doing them for yourself or your friends. You don't need to agonize over every last scratch. You can often just find the existing angle, match it and start with the 600# stones. From there, it's easy to work through the 600#, 800# and 1000# diamonds and then finish with 20 or so strokes with the strops. The knife you'll give back to your customer will be screaming sharp (depending on the angle of course) and far better than anything they've ever seen before. If you work the same venue often, you'll get the knives back after a while and it's really easy to touch them up, just a matter of a minute or two. At shows, I usually do 5-10 knives per hour if they're not too badly damaged or wanting a major reprofile. I spend more time on knives sent in to the shop, often 20 minutes or more making sure they're perfect.
we need to talk
thanks
<"))))><(

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11673

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
So, what did you end up doing with the Victoinox blade?
How did it come out?
Customer reaction?

BTW. depending on how much you get into it, how much you charge for a critical customer... the steel information may be the most important piece of data that you can get...
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11674

• EamonMcGowan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
wickededge wrote:
EamonMcGowan wrote:

My set up is a little different as I live on a very popular gun range. All of my customers drop their knives off and come back a few days latter? I guess it gave me a chance to invest more time? I am going to take your suggestion to the bank! I will learn to start off with 600 and go from there.
The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result?
An old Irish toast, May the wind always be at your back, may you always have work and may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead. Cheers!

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11691

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
PhilipPasteur wrote:
So, what did you end up doing with the Victoinox blade?
How did it come out?
Customer reaction?

BTW. depending on how much you get into it, how much you charge for a critical customer... the steel information may be the most important piece of data that you can get...
have all week to work on it - will return it to him next sat. at the fare.....maybe like trade for yet another skinner he has - only guessing.

i think i will give it a try on the micro, B U T is there a rule of thumb on higher after first sharpening???.......meaning if i complete at 17* where do i go from there? or say 18* - or does it make all that much difference?

say 18* and then 21* or 22*
<"))))><(

Re: Today at the farmers fare i got over 20 knives. 1 year 2 months ago #11696

• cbwx34
  • Thank you received: 413
tuffybraithwaite wrote:
i think i will give it a try on the micro, B U T is there a rule of thumb on higher after first sharpening???.......meaning if i complete at 17* where do i go from there? or say 18* - or does it make all that much difference?

say 18* and then 21* or 22*

My .02... depends on where I start from... for example 15 deg./side, I might go up 4-5 deg. but if I'm at 20 and want to do one, I'll only go up 2-3 deg.... otherwise it gets too high.

philip's hunt shows factory edge at 20* 1 year 2 months ago #11698

• tuffybraithwaite
  • Platinum Boarder
it has been sharpened by someone or something and just eyeballing i would say 19*

i will set it up in the vice monday and test.

since i have all week, and if it is actually around 20*, i may move down to 18* and then back up to 21*----does that sound resonable??

now
do to the length, should i clamp in and sharpen from one location? or maybe 2? or more?
<"))))><(
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds