Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tomato Testing

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 5 months ago #10609

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
For some reason...after I pasted the qoute... I can't add to or edit the last poast..

Anyway, I have also started with the 14/10 micron paste then used the 5/3.5 with good effect. I think Mark has information on his blog about his results with the pastes.

This is also a great thread with lots of photos that should be a must read if you want to make a decision on where to start. If you have read some of my posts lately, you will know that I am not buying the first few statements that Mark makes in that post about stiction and burnishing, but the rest of the thread deals more with documenting actual results. You can draw your own conlusions... but do read the thread.

www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...=5&id=2399&Itemid=63
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 5 months ago #10611

• ThomasAscher
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
What about after the micro-fine?

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 5 months ago #10614

• PhilipPasteur
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 233
Did you read the thread that I linked?

I start with the 5/3.5 pastes(actually 6/3 in the dmt paste that I have now)..
Regardless of whether I go to the 12K or 15K waterstones, or stop with the super fine ceramics.

If I decide not to use paste, but diamond or CBN spray, I might use 1 micron and 0.5 micron levels first.

It depends on what I want for that blade, the steel, etc.

So, It depends, there are no answers that fit every situation...and as usual, you have to try things for yourself. I think, to start...to get a technique down, maybe try some plain strops. Once you can use those properly, try the 5/3.5 micron paste... then figure out what works for you from there.

Read the thread it will reveal much...

A theory of how the WE diamond pastes work

www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=c...=5&id=2399&Itemid=63
Phil

MAX 2001-2013
Hoping there is that bridge!
I miss you Buddy!
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by PhilipPasteur.

Re: Tomato Testing 1 year 5 months ago #10615

• ThomasAscher
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
There's almost too much information, too much testing, too many photographs! I'm overwhelmed! Think I'll get the leather strops and try the smallest pastes. It has so much to do with direction of movement, number of passes, technique! I'll know more when I've gone back to the strops and try on my own. Thanks for the help, references, there's really no lack of information on the forum! This really goes way beyond practicality. My knives are really sharp enough. But as a hobby, much fun and less expense than restoring classic cars or old homes... :cheer:
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds